We are now able to announce our plans for Wednesday night club runs. As you are no doubt aware, Wanstead Leisure Centre will be closed for renovation for at least a year. But, we have found a great alternative venue - the Eton Manor Rugby Club in Wanstead (at the end of Nutter Lane, just across the A12 from WLC). The venue has a nice covered outdoor area for our pre-run announcements, with a bar we can use afterwards. It has changing rooms, showers and free parking. Many thanks to Susan Edwards for facilitating this arrangement.
For a trial period of two months, we will retain two well-received aspects of the Faux Wednesday format:
- Firstly, we will alternate between club runs that start at the Rugby Club with announcements, and the separate locations we've had over the past year. The aim is to reintroduce a regular focal point for the whole club to meet, while also allowing people to run closer to home and on a wider variety of routes.
- Secondly, we will retain 6 to 9 smaller pace groups each with a single leader, rather than going back to three large groups with leader and backmarker. This will allow a wider range of paces - including fast and beginners groups - and will apply to all Wednesday runs, both those from the RFC and separate locations. So, we will continue to need plenty of volunteers to lead the groups!
Towards the end of the trial period, we will hold a survey of club members to gather feedback on what permanent arrangement would suit our members the best.
Finally, a reminder that we will be holding our first Club Colours Social Run since March 2020 on 4th August. Keep an eye out for further details soon.
Subject to final confirmation from the venue, we are planning the following schedule over the next few weeks:
- 21 Jul: Separate groups as usual.
- 28 Jul: No club run - IAC Hilly 5 ELVIS race.
- 4 Aug: Club Colours Social Run to the Duke - starting together outdoors, somewhere near the pub, but with the new format pace groups.
- 11 Aug: Separate groups.
- 18 Aug: First club run from Eton Manor RFC, finishing with drinks at the bar!
- 25 Aug: Separate groups.
- 1 Sep: Club Colours Social Run from Eton Manor RFC to our annual Club Barbecue at Wanstead Cricket Club.
Entries are now open for the ELVIS race on 30 August. This is the sixth race in the series and will be a 5K race in Barking Park.
Entries are now open for the ELVIS race on 21 August. This event is hosted by Orion Harriers, and is the second in a series of three races that they organise on an annual basis. Enter either just the ELVIS race https://www.entrycentral.com/event/111624 or the three race series (17 July/21 August/4 September), the second of which is the ELVIS race
With parkruns return cancelled for now, it gives you an ideal time to recce the course on the 17th July before the Elvis race on the 21st August.
Our club coach, Grant Conway, has put together a programme of sessions with the goal of improving your speed and endurance. The sessions will be led and assisted by a different set of volunteers each week.
Venue: Ashton Playing Fields, Chigwell Road, Woodford Green, IG8 8AA
Start time: 6.30pm prompt (15 mins earlier than before)
Cost: £4 regular price; £1.50 for students and over 35s.
Session details for 26th July:
- Workout: 200m reps
- Leader: Ciaran Canavan
- Assistants: Lance Fuller & Emily Clarke
Sign up here. Please remember to remove your name if you can no longer make it.
Reminder of Covid rules:
1. Pre-registration is required.
2. A maximum of 36 runners allowed on track.
3. ELR members only.
4. Runners will be split into pace groups. No need to pre-allocate or give a pace when registering; this will all be sorted out at track.
5. Remember to keep a 2m distance from other runners.
Entries are now open for ELVIS races 3 and 4.
The third race will be 5 miles at Raphael Park in Romford on Tuesday 20 July, followed on Wednesday 28 July by 5 miles in Hainault Forest Country Park.
As these two races will commence at 7.30pm, there will be no club run on Wednesday 28 July.
Morning races will follow with the Orion 5 mile at 10am on Saturday 21 August (Chingford Plain), https://www.entrycentral.com/111624
Barking Park 5k on Bank Holiday Monday 30 August at 10.30am
and the ELVIS series will finish with our own 5k in Valentines Park at 10.30am on Sunday 26 September. Please ensure you get these dates into your diaries and have your race kit ready to go!
The County Championships are being held on Saturday 31 July and Sunday 1 August 2021 at Chelmsford. The closing date for entries for the championships is Friday 2 July (by post) and Thursday 8 July (on-line). No late entries allowed. All competitors must be registered with England Athletics and you will need your EA licence number to enter. Events include 100m, 400m, 800m and 3000m for senior men and women on 31 July, and 200m and 1500m for senior men and women on 1 August. The fee is £10 per event and can be made on-line at: https://eventdesq.sportstg.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=main&EventDesqID=37497&OrgID=13220.
We are pleased to advise that East London Runners has been allocated ten guaranteed Club entries for both the 2021 Brighton Marathon and 10K race. These popular events are taking place on Sunday 12 September 2021 and are now closed to general entries. The offer is available on a first come first served basis, to England Athletics registered athletes who are first claim members of East London Runners. The entry fee is £75 to enter the Marathon and £35 for the 10K. It is the responsibility of each person to pay their individual fee. If you would like to secure a place, then please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will inform the race organisers. They are only able to accept requests to enter the races from club secretaries. Entries will be accepted until 18 July 2021.
East London Runners
Wanstead Leisure CentreRedbridge Lane WestWansteadLondonE11 2JZ
Monday: Track NightWednesday: Club RunSaturday: parkrunSunday: Long Run
Contact UsJoining the ClubWhat's OnResultsDistance Log