Training for London 2018 and other Spring Marathons - Races and MarathonTraining Runs
We can recommend the following races/training runs which have been tried and tested by many members of East London Runners in the past. All distances shown are in miles. SOME OF THE RACES ARE CHALLENGING!
1. Saturday 30th December 2017 - Start Time 10:30am *** please note earlier start time *** - ILFORD AC 10 mile Cross Country - Race For Kev at Hainault Forest (Lambourne Road). 3 laps of an undulating route comprising tracks and grassland of Hainault Forest. This is an Open race but will also include the Ilford AC Club Championships. Hilly and muddy!
2. Sunday 21st January 2018 - 10.30am. - Benfleet 15."Mud, water, wind, mud, pain. Great organisation and marshalling". It has a CHALLENGING 15 mile, multi-terrain course, incorporating sections of the Canvey Island sea wall, and the undulating Hadleigh Downs.
3. Sunday 28th January 2018 - 9:00am start for 12min per mile+ runners/
9.30am main start - Gade Valley Harriers 12 mile Marathon Training run. Please download this REGISTRATION FORM and bring it with you on the day. There is NO pre-registration. £5.00 cash on the day. Route is part on Canal towpath, can be a bit muddy and uneven. rest is on hilly country roads, well marshalled etc.
4. Sunday 25th February 2018 - 9.00am - Roding Valley Half Marathon. Very popular local race around the hilly streets of, Chigwell, Buckhurst Hill and Woodford. Starts and finishes on the running track at Ashton Playing Fields, Woodford Bridge.
5. Sunday 25th February 2018 - 9:00am start for 12min per mile+ runners/
9.30am main start - Gade Valley Harriers 17 mile Marathon Training run. Details and cost as above. Route is part on Canal towpath, can be a bit muddy and uneven. rest is on hilly country roads, well marshalled etc.
6. Sunday 18th March 2018 - Finchley 20 - 9.00am. - Bury Street, Ruislip, Middlesex. 4 laps of 5 miles, undulating road, town and rural.
7. Sunday 18th March 2018 - 10am - The Oakley 20. - The course consists of one 12 mile loop on undulating country roads around Oakley and North Bedfordshire villages followed by a slightly different second loop of 8 miles.
8. Saturday 24th March 2018 - 10am - Orion 15. A challenging off road local race in Epping Forest. Very hilly and often very muddy. A firm favourite of ELR!
9. Sunday 25th March 2018 - 9:00am start for 12min per mile+ runners/
9.30am main start - Gade Valley Harriers 20 mile Marathon Training run. Details as above but cost £10.00. Route is part on Canal towpath, can be a bit muddy and uneven. rest is on hilly country roads, well marshalled etc. Please download this REGISTRATION FORM
VIRGIN MONEY LONDON MARATHON 2018
The results of the club ballot drawn on 8 November 2017 were as follows:
1. Lucy Barron
2. Roger Stubbs
3. Maran Raju
4. Sandra Hiller
5. Michael Bamford
6. Maud Hodson
7. Diana Rexhepaj
8. Robyn Hase (Turtle)
9. David Hallybone
10. Ruel Ordonio
The above named should expect to receive an email from the club shortly to advise of the next steps.
Reserves - who will be offered a place should the above choose to pass the up the opportunity to run.
11. Sheetal Dandgey
12. Laura Woodhouse
13. Simon Thomas
14. Jason Levy
15. Claire Drakeford
16. Michael Keefe
17. Joanne Neville
18. Jayne Browne
19. Steven Bywater
20. Alexandra Rutishauser-Perera
21. Spencer Evans
22. Graham Peacock
23. Jonathan Shaw
24. Katy Taylor
25. Tim Aylett
26. Michael Wilson
27. Robert Rayworth
28. Alexandra Brown
29. Rachel Le Roux
30. Manjit Singh
31. Ian Cooper
32. Geoff Bench
33. Chloe Millan
34. Dave Knight
35. Emma Wing
36. John Booth
37. Helen McGuiness
38. Andrew Howard
39. Ashley Faria
40. Shahib Ali
ELR Rules for Guaranteed Club places in the London Marathon 2018
Virgin Money London Marathon 22nd April 2018 - Club Ballot for places will be held on Wednesday 8th November 2017.
Virgin Money London Marathon will be sending out their ACCEPTANCE or REJECTION packs around 2nd October 2017 and over the following 7 days.
The ballot of the Club places for the Virgin Money London Marathon 2018 will take place on Wednesday 8th November 2017 at 6.50pm prior to the regular Club run.
ELR Ballot rules -
1. Open to Members where East London Runners is their First Claim Club.
The date of First Claim will be when a new member joins the club and can be freely registered by us with England Athletics (EA). Where a new member is already registered with EA with another Club or organisation then the date of First Claim will be the date when EA confirms to us that they have transferred their registration to ELR.
2. Fully paid up First Claim member by 1st April 2016 and paid/renewed their Membership for 2017/18 on or before 30th June 2017. Note that for this year only those members who have joined between 1st April 2016 and 30th September 2016 may be eligible if they meet all the other rules of the ballot.
3. Applied in the public ballot and was rejected by VMLM for 2018.
4. Can provide proof to the Club of being rejected by VMLM 2018. Proof by
way of rejection slip/letter or e.mail from VMLM 2018. Rejection letters can be handed to Mike, Don or Jonathan at the Club. Please forward your rejection e.mail to our webmaster email address. Note a rejection magazine or copy of same is insufficient proof.
5. Members who have been successful and have not passed the place back to the Club through injury or other reason or who have subsequently received a place as a Reserve in the previous year Club Ballot will not be eligible for entry in the following yearly ballot.
In the unlikely situation where not all places are taken up by other eligible Club Members any spare places could then be balloted among the previous year successful members if they meet all the other rules/criteria. This rule is to apply to those successful in the ballot for LM2017 which took place in November 2016 and for future London Marathons.
6. Member to advise Mike Wilson, Don Bennett,or Jonathan Wooldridge that they wish to be in the ballot and provide proof of rejection on or before 23:59 on Tuesday 7th November 2017
7. Members who qualify for Good for Age and Championship places in the London Marathon are ineligible for our Ballot as they must apply under these categories.
8. The draw will take place on Wednesday 8th November 2017 at 6.50pm prior to the normal Club run.
Successful in our Ballot in 2016 for VMLM 2017
1. Andy Bolderstone
2. Peter Hatley
3. Sheila Kennedy
4. Ramesh Pala
5. Suzanne Bench
6. John Healy*
7. Susannah McLaren
8. James Nichols
9. Peter Martin
Sunday 22nd April 2018 - Virgin Money London Marathon - Public Ballot opens Bank Holiday Monday 1st May 2017
The public ballot entry system for the 2018 Virgin Money London Marathon opens on Monday 1 May and closes at 17:00 on Friday 5 May 2017. The ballot will be open for five days to give everyone who wants to enter the event a fair chance to do so.